Kate Middleton made decision about Prince William

Prince William’s absence from Kate Middleton’s cancer diagnosis announcement has finally been explained, more than a week after its release.

The Princess of Wales, 42, appeared alone on a garden bench as she shared harrowing details of her health battle in the video message on March 22, prompting many to question why her husband was not by her side.

According to a royal source, it was Kate’s decision.

“It is a message from the princess about her health, and she wanted to personally deliver the message on her own,” the insider told People magazine.

Despite his absence, the Prince of Wales was praised by his wife of nearly 13 years as “a great source of comfort and reassurance” amid her diagnosis and subsequent “preventive chemotherapy”.

Another source told People how William has provided a pillar of strength for Kate.

“He is a very reliable, strong person. She doesn’t feel isolated in this because of William, who is right beside her,” the longtime family friend said.

“This is about supporting her and her feeling supported. It is a joint effort. She doesn’t feel isolated at all.

“The nuclear family that they have created so well is an immense support not only to him but to Catherine too.”

‘Extraordinary resilience’

It comes as new details emerge about the family of five’s private holiday in the wake of the announcement, with a source telling the UK’s Mirrorthat William and Kate are focusing on “having fun”.

They reportedly headed to their spacious Anmer Hall estate in Norfolk shortly after the children’s Lambrook School broke up for the Easter break and as the public discovered Kate’s diagnosis.

“The family just want to go away for Easter, spend time together, the five of them, close off from the world and move on,” an aide told the publication.

During the immensely difficult period, George, Charlotte and Louis have been able to “buoy” their parents “with smiles”, according to another insider.

“The children are at the centre of their world … You take heart from the extraordinary resilience of children.”

In the emotional statement last month, Kate thanked the public “personally” for their “understanding” during her recovery from surgery.

“It has been an incredibly tough couple of months for our entire family but I have had a fantastic medical team who have taken great care of me, for which I am so grateful,” she said, adding that her diagnosis had come as a “huge shock.”

“William and I have been doing everything we can to process this privately for the sake of our young family.

“As you can imagine this has taken time. It has taken me time to recover from major surgery in order to start my treatment.

“But, most importantly, it has taken us time to explain everything to George, Charlotte, and Louis in a way that is appropriate for them and to reassure them that I am going to be okay.

“As I have said to them; I am well and I’m getting stronger every day by focusing on the things that will help me heal; in my mind body and spirit.”

Kate later concluded: “We hope that you will understand that as a family we now need some time space and privacy while I complete my treatment.”

Meanwhile, during a royal engagement the following week, Queen Camilla told members of the public that Kate would be “thrilled” with their well-wishes.

Return of the King

The new details about Kate’s recovery come just days after her father-in-law, King Charles, made a return to public royal duties amid his own cancer battle.

The monarch, 75, appeared to be in good spirits as he smiled and waved at the small crowd permitted outside the Easter service at St George’s Chapel within Windsor Castle grounds.

While his appearance indicated his treatment is progressing positively, the King was forced to make alterations to the high-profile royal outing, opting to arrive by car instead of undertaking the traditional 10-minute walk.

At one point, a member of the crowd called out: “Happy Easter to Your Majesty!” prompting a beaming Charles to call back: “And to you!”

Queen Camilla attended the service alongside Charles, as well as the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh, Princess Anne and her husband, Vice Admiral Tim Lawrence, and Prince Andrew and his ex-wife, Sarah Ferguson.

It had initially been hoped that Kate, William and their three kids would also be part of the royal engagement, but Kensington Palace confirmed shortly after the Princess’ video was released that they would instead be spending time together in private.

Read related topics:Kate MiddletonKing Charles III

Leave a Comment