Erin Molan speaks out after being groped by a man at Sydney pub

Erin Molan has revealed that she was groped by a man at a Sydney pub while watching the AFL grand final over the weekend.

Speaking this morning on her 2DAY FM radio program, Hughesy, Ed & Erin, Molan told co-hosts Dave Hughes and Ed Kavalee that she was groped by a man who was known to her partner, Todd Selby, as they had lunch at The Buena in Mosman on Saturday.

“I was at a pub on Saturday, not a raging one or anything – just a lovely place in Mosman to have some lunch and then we stayed to watch the grand final, which was on in the afternoon,” she recalled on-air.

“I was just there with my partner and he knew the guy, actually, and they were just having a chat. And the guy was actually quite nice.”

However, as the day went on and the guy appeared to have had one too many drinks, Molan began to feel uncomfortable in his presence.

“A couple of times Todd had gotten up to go to the toilet or go to the bar, he kind of came in a little bit close and I felt just a little bit uncomfortable,” Molan said.

“Then I got up at one stage. I walked over to the sports bar just to look at what time the NRL grand final was starting the next day because Todd and I were talking about what we’re going to do. And he kind of came up behind me and was standing very close and talking, and then just grabbed me on the bottom.”

Molan said she was in a state of shock over what transpired and did not react in the moments after the incident as she was trying to process what just happened.

“I didn’t even react then which, when I thing back, I should have reacted or said something,” she said. “I think a lot of women can relate. Sometimes you actually don’t know what to do, and I’m a fairly strong person and I stand up for things and fight for things. But I think I was just so shocked.”

The TV and radio star then made her way back to her table, where Selby immediately knew something was wrong. Molan said she would tell him at home but he was persistent, so she told him.

“My immediate thought is I don’t want to cause trouble, I don’t want to make a scene, I don’t want there to be drama. I don’t want him to get in trouble,” she admitted.

Bizarrely, once someone grabbed the man, Molan said he came back to their table only to apologise to her partner. He did not make eye contact with her or issue an apology in her direction.

When Hughes asked if a “scuffle” ensued, Molan said it was more like a “confrontation”.

“My partner got pretty angry,” she revealed. “And I kind of got in the middle and grabbed Todd and said, ‘It’s not worth it. Let’s go, let’s go.’”

But it was the man who was kicked out of the venue by management, and banned from the premises for six months.

“We were very concerned upon learning of the incident, and acted swiftly as soon as we became aware of what happened, barring the individual from the premises for six months,”

Mitch Wood, the general manager of The Buena, told the Daily Telegraph.

“This is obviously a very unusual incident for us here at the Buena, and the welfare of our customers and staff is always of the utmost importance. We have stringent policies in place with regards to sexual harassment, and these are aimed to ensure all patrons and staff feel safe and welcome in all our venues.”

Molan has also been contacted by police in the wake of the incident. However, she has chosen not to press charges.

While she’s not “traumatised” by the incident, Molan says she is “humiliated” by it but would like to move on.

“I’m not taking it any further. I’m happy with the outcome at the pub that they banned him and I’d rather leave it there.”

Read related topics:Sydney

Leave a Comment